An AC filter can filter all air pollutants to make sure clean air circulates throughout your home. Even an AC filter needs to be replaced after a certain period, because it can become too full of particles such as dust and hair. Much like your laundry’s lint screen, if an AC air filter becomes too full, it will eventually stop doing its job. So how often does an air filter need to be changed? Read on to find out!
As A Rule Of Thumb…
The recommended time in between air filter changes can differ, but generally these are the time lengths depending on the size of the air filter:
- 1 to 2 inch air filters should be replaced every 1 to 3 months
- 3 to 4 inch filters should be replaced every 6 to 9 months
- 5 to 6 inch filters should be replaced every 9 months to a year
These recommendations don’t consider a variety of factors that may call for your air filter to be changed even sooner than the recommended time. Some of the factors that could pinpoint to a need to replace your AC filter sooner include:
- Pets in the home- Pet hair can actually clog air filters faster and may result in their needing to be replaced sooner.
- Frequency of AC use- During seasons where your HVAC system is used more, air is filtered at a more constant rate. If you’re using your air conditioning system a lot, it should be no surprise you may need to replace your AC filter soon.
- Allergies or asthma are a problem- If your household suffers from asthma or allergies, changing the filter sooner or more frequently can ensure the air in your home is being filtered faster and getting rid of any triggering particles.
Signs Your AC Filter Needs To Be Replaced
Life gets busy, but if your AC filter isn’t replaced in a while, you may start to notice some signs that you need to complete this task ASAP! Signs your AC filter needs to be replaced include:
- The air conditioning unit is too hot- A clogged air filter forces the AC unit to work much harder, leading to overheating.
- The air is not cool enough- With a clogged air filter, nice and refreshing air can’t get through into your rooms.
- High electric bills- A dirty or clogged air filter will cause your HVAC system to waste more energy while trying to work, leading to high electric bills.
- Dust collection on furniture near the vents- A clogged air filter can lead to dust accumulation on the furniture or surfaces near the air vents in your home.
If you need a reliable HVAC Los Angeles company, turn to South West HVAC! Whether you need an air filter replacement or other repairs and maintenance services, we’ve got you covered. Trust your HVAC system with us, and we will amaze you with the results! Don’t delay, give us a call today.